The images in this article have been deleted to make more room for media data. See this archive to view all images.
Howard Goodloe Sutton is the publisher, editor, and owner of the small newspaper Democrat-Reporter, which he operates in his current city, Linden, Alabama. He made national headlines back in February 2019 when he wrote an editorial titled Klan Needs to Ride Again, in which he advocated for the lynchings of Democrats and Democrats in the Republican party who were plotting to raise taxes. This is only the most recent controversy surrounding Sutton. He’s had a long track record of penning inflammatory, racist, and bigoted posts. For instance, in 2014 he defended Hitler and the anti-Semitism of the Nazis, as well as spewing racist drivel toward Blacks and Muslims. He also has a long history of anti-Semitism and spewing Nazi-era propaganda targetting Jews, as well as calling for the extrajudicial killings of Socialists and Communists.
Interestingly, Sutton gained acclaim and was inducted into the Hall of Fame of the School of Journalism and Mass Communication in 2007 for reporting on corruption in the Marengo County Sherriff’s Office. Let’s examine some of his behavior and reveal him as an Alabamian fascist.
Timeline of Racism
- 2019: As stated above, most recently, Sutton has come under fire for his remarks about the “return” (as if it ever went away) of the klan and the lynching of politicians who are raising taxes. He clarified in a later interview that, “We’ll get the hemp ropes out, loop them over a tall limb and hang all of them.”As a result of this, he was removed from the University of Southern Mississippi’s School of Mass Communication and Journalism’s Hall of Fame. Auburn University’s Journalism Advisory Council also voted to revoke Sutton’s community journalism award.
Additionally, it resulted in the resignation of Elecia Dexter, who is a Black editor and who was appointed as the publisher in late February of the Democrat-Reporter. Her resignation came after interference from Sutton and articles that were published without her authorization containing false information about reporter Melissa Brown of the Montgomery Advertiser. In a moment perhaps of revenge and irresponsibility, Sutton attempted to doxx Dexter later by releasing her email and phone number, putting a Black woman at risk of violence or worse in an already racist state.
- 2018: In September, he wrote an editorial that alluded to the anti-Semitic conspiracy theory of Jewish ritual sacrifice, criticizing people “who make football a religion with human sacrifices,” then claiming that “Gentiles trying to act like Jews is ridiculous.” The same editorial is filled with racism toward Blacks while bemoaning “anti-white” racism aimed at Trump. Particularly, “anti-white” racism is a narrative that’s furthered in alt-right circles, particularly in Identity Evropa/American Identity Movement. In the same year, an editorial was published that stated, “the Democrats loved war as long as it lined the pockets of the Jews who run America.” And: “If the Jews would read their own history, they could predict that God is going to let someone clean them out, again.”
- 2016: Continuing in his anti-Semitic Nazi-era propaganda, he made stereotypes of Jewish financiers in order to accuse the “establishment” of agitating against Trump because “the establishment has some Jews in it who don’t want any changes in the laws governing money changing.”
- 2014: In another editorial, he stated, “to not put Hitler and Eichmann in context is a sin of omission. Why did they want to rid Germany of Jews? Go read German history after World War I.”
- 2012: Sutton described Obamacare in another editorial as: “more and more like a muslim [sic] plot to wreck America.” In the same issue, there’s a graphic displayed that, given the tone and history of the Democrat-Reporter so far, appears racist and condemning toward Blacks. Instead of discussing the fundamental and systemic racism that oppresses Black people in society, it appears to be having a go at them and painting them as lessers in society.
The bigotry that’s rampant in Sutton isn’t isolated racism in a vacuum. He states sympathy for Hitler and repeats the same racist and anti-Semitic Nazi-era propaganda and he has painted the klan as an alright kind of organization that wasn’t that bad. He hates the Jews, people of color, and people of LGBT+ communities, and he’s stated that he’s pro-lynching of political opponents. Sutton is a typical fascist who had a hateful platform through which he advocated for bigotry. This has caused him to be deplatformed in multiple arenas and he has perhaps retaliated against a Black woman, with whom he worked, by trying to doxx her. Well, surprise, surprise, Mr. Klan and Hitler Supporter; hate has consequences. Here’s his full doxx.
Sutton is 80 years old, living in Linden, Alabama. He has a PO Box: Po Box 480040
Linden, AL 36748-0040; and he is believed to live at 121 Old Thomaston RD Linden, AL 36748. Possible phone numbers are: (334) 813-7224 – Wireless; (334) 295-8448 – LandLine; (334) 295-5224 – LandLine.